Clinical Correlation H&P reflection

1. What differences do you note between the two H&Ps? 

Over all I believe that my attention to detail has improved. I am showing better organization of my thoughts and structuring my H&P in a more coherent fashion. For each ROS finding and physical exam findings, I am  being more thorough, rather than sticking to a general script. I also believe that this is reflected by my own growth in my question taking skills while taking the history. 

1. In what ways has your history-taking improved?  Are you eliciting all the important information? 

I believe my history taking has improved drastically and become more organized. I try to stay organized and keep the most relevant and vital information to the patients health and wellbeing first. I think there’s always room for improvement, but I do believe that since my first H and P, that I am asking more relevant questions, ones that extract more information from the patient, then just sticking to surface level questions.  

1. In what ways has writing an HPI improved? (hint: look at the rubric scores) 

I think I am staying more organized and writing in way that makes more sense to the reader. For example, rather then just listing things, I am creating more of a narrative, one that allows the reader to know the most relevant information first, then move on to the background information. I also think I am delving more into each significant chief complaint. For example,  if the patient comes in for shortness of breath, but is also having chest pain, I make sure to ask important questions for each. 

1. What is your self-assessment of your current skill in performing a physical exam? Which areas do you feel strongest about/weakest about? 

I think my physical exam skills still need improvement, but I make sure to always do as much as I can and as much as the patient is comfortable with. I try to do everything that we learned in PD class so far. I think my exam of the ears, eyes, cardiovascular and pulmonary system are the strongest. That is because I have also had the most practice in it. I think my neuro exam skills needs improving, along with my examination of the GI.  

1. Of course we expect you to get stronger in all areas, but which of the specific areas will you target as needing particular focus in future patient visits when you start the clinical year? 

In particular, I will like to hone and improve my physical exam skills before going into Clinical year. I want to get more practice and find a rhythm that keeps me organized and thorough, while providing the least discomfort for the patient. I also want to be stronger and assessing various abnormal findings, and connecting them to their disease.  

my first H&P from PD 1 is attached to the tab for PD H&P. My newest H&P for PD 2 is attached here. Please click on the following link to view:

PD2 H&P 1